2 de maio de 2015

O VERBO TO BE - VERB TO BE

O verbo to be - Verb to be



O verbo to Be é um dos verbos mais utilizados na Língua Inglesa. É considerado um verbo especial, e pode se apresentar de três maneiras no SIMPLE PRESENT (presente simples): AM IS ARE. Cada um dos Subjects Pronouns tem o seu verbo to be correspondente. Observe:


Subject Pronoun + Verb to be

I am
You are
He is
She is
It is
We are
You are
They are

Usa-se o Verbo to Be:


• Para identificar e descrever pessoas e objetos.

I am from The United States.

It is a door.

They are my friends Carol and Jack.

He is a student.


• Nas expressões de tempo e lugar.

It is cold today. You are in London.


• Nas expressões de idade.

I am 40 years old. Tim is 28 years old.


Para formar sentenças NEGATIVAS ou INTERROGATIVAS com o verbo to be, basta movimentar o verbo, ou seja, não é necessário nenhum verbo auxiliar. O próprio verbo to be vai transformar orações AFIRMATIVAS em NEGATIVAS ou INTERROGATIVAS.

Observe como construímos NEGATIVE SENTENCES:

- Affirmative sentence: He is a good student.

- Negative sentence: He is not a good student.

- Negative contracted sentence: He isn’t a good student.


Para formar uma sentença negativa, basta acrescentar a palavra NOT
imediatamente após o verbo to be. Ou se preferir, utilizar a forma contraída ISN’T.

Então: IS NOT = ISN’T
           ARE NOT = AREN’T
           AM NOT = Não há contração possível

Agora, INTERROGATIVE SENTENCES:

- Affirmative sentence: Carol is a nice girl.

- Interrogative sentence: Is Carol a nice girl?


Observe que para construirmos sentenças interrogativas temos que inverter o
SUJEITO e o VERBO. Carol is.../ Is Carol...?

Have a look:


VERB TO BE - PRESENT SIMPLE

Affirmative

I am
You are
He is
She is
It is
We are
You are
They are

Negative

I am not
You are not/ you aren't
He is not/ he isn't
She is not/ she isn't
It is not/ you aren't
We are not/ we aren't
They are not/ they aren't

Interrogative

Am I?
Are you?
Is he?
Is she?
Is it?
Are we?
Are you?
Are they?


Podemos contrair também o SUBJECT PRONOUN e o VERBO TO BE:

Forma completa

I am
You are
He is
She is
It is
We are
You are
They are

Forma contraída

I'm
You're
He's
She's
It's
We're
You're
They



Now, let’s work on it.


1. Escreva a contracted form.

a. He is: _______________________________

b. She is: ______________________________

c. They are: ____________________________

d. You are: _____________________________

e. I am not: _____________________________

f. We are not: ___________________________

g. It is not: ______________________________

h. She is not: ____________________________


2. Complete com am, is or are.

a. The weather ____is____ very nice today.

b. I________ not tired.

c. This case ________ very heavy.

d. These cases ________ very heavy.

e. The dog _______ asleep.

f. Look! There ________ Carol.

g. I________ hot! Can you open the window?

h. This castle ________one thousand years old.

i. Carmen ________ hungry. Let’s eat a burger.

j. Mrs. Johnson and my mother ________ very good friends.

k. This ________ the latest model keyboard.

l. My mother and I ________ are teachers.


3. Escreve sentenças positivas ou negativas. Use o verb to be – am, is, are.

Models:

Paris/ capital of France.
Paris is the capital of France. 

I/ interested in baseball.
I am not interested in baseball.

a. I/ hungry _________________________________________________

b. It/ warm today ____________________________________________

c. Rome/ in Spain ___________________________________________

d. I/ afraid of dogs ___________________________________________

e. Canada/ a very big country __________________________________

f. The Amazon/ in Africa ______________________________________

g. Motor-racing/ a dangerous sport ______________________________

h. Cats/ big animals __________________________________________


4. Responda as perguntas utilizando somente SHORT FORMS.

Model:

Are you married? 
Yes, I am.

Is it dark now?
No, it isn’t.

a. Are you tall? ______________________________________________

b. Is it cold today? ___________________________________________

c. Are you a teacher? ________________________________________

d. Are you tired? ____________________________________________

e. Are your hands cold? ______________________________________

f. Are you hungry? __________________________________________

g. Are you fat? ______________________________________________

h. Is it sunny? ______________________________________________


5. Transforme as orações abaixo em NEGATIVAS e INTERROGATIVAS.

Model:

Affirmative: My brother is an engineer.

Negative: My brother is not an engineer.

Interrogative: Is my brother an engineer?

a. My eyes are green.

b. My hair is long and straight.

c. My favorite actor is Brad Pitt.

d. It is freezing today.

e. You are a great professional.

f. Jane’s favorite color is blue.


6. Bill está em Bali. Complete o e-mail que ele enviou a seus amigos contando as novidades. Use o verbo to Be.

Hi, everyone!

Guess where I ________ ? What a beautiful sunset! It ________ Matahari beach,
in Bali.I ________ here for a week.It ________ hot and sunny. The food ________ great – lots of fish and seafood. But the waves ________ the best of all! They ________ up
to 3 meters tall. And you, guys? ________ you ok? I hope so. My family _______ here with me and they send you best regards. See you soon!




Love, Bill


7. Complete the sentence with is, is not, are, are not, am or am not.

a. I ______________________ Spanish, I´m Greek.

b. Peter ______________________ a good student. He´s a bad one.

c. Our eyes ___________________ blue.

d. My sister ___________ a police officer and a journalist.

d. _____________________ his brother tall?

e. The bus _____________________ late, it´s here now.

f. That film______________________ very good. The story is very interested.

g. They _________________________ tired, they´re hungry.

1 comentário:

Comentar isto